The all-new 2018 Lexus LS was revealed at a private showing, followed by a public display at the Dubai International Motor Show 2017 by Al-Futtaim Motors, the exclusive distributor of Lexus in the UAE.
SPORTY COUPE-LIKE EXTERIOR
The all new LS has a coupe-like silhouette and dramatic rendition of the Lexus signature spindle grille, which now comes with a unique texture that appears to change under different lights, a result of intense CAD development and carefully adjusting thousands of individual surfaces. It is now longer and lower and for the first time, equipped the available air suspension with an access function, which raises the vehicle and opens the seat bolsters to welcome drivers behind the wheel when the car is unlocked using the smart key. The rear is characterized by an almost-fastback profile and ‘multi-L’ LED tail lamps and bumper-infused faux exhaust tips.
The 2018 LS debuts a new 19-inch wheel design and three 20-inch wheel designs, two of which are also new, and feature run-flat tires. The special 20-inch premium have been created using an electroplating technique known as sputtering. All new hollow rim structure helps reduce resonance generated by the tyres.
The LS is available in 13 distinctive exterior colors, including two new colors; Manganese Luster and Sonic Agate. While, the interior comes in a total of eight color schemes with five choices in interior trim.
INSPIRING INTERIOR DECOR & COMFORT
Omotenashi, the concept of Japanese hospitality, has been applied to the LS, it means taking care of the driver and passengers, anticipating their needs, attending to their comfort and helping to protect them from hazards.
New seating designs, offer available 28-way power adjustability and feature cooling and massage. While making the new LS even more of a driver’s car, Lexus has focused on the lavish rear seats too, which comes with cooling, and massage options. The seat behind the front passenger can be reclined up to 48 degrees, and raised up to 24 degrees to help assist the rear-seat passenger in exiting the vehicle.
The organically shaped dash design clusters information displays at a uniform height to support the ‘seat-in-control’ layout that emphasizes the driver’s ability to operate all systems without changing body posture. In addition to a 12.3-inch navigation display, the LS can be fitted with an optional 24-inch color head-up display (HUD) – the largest in the world. The infotainment system has a more inviting graphic user interface and is controlled using the next generation of Lexus’ Remote Touch control system which can can recognize ‘handwritten’ commands traced on the touchpad.
In terms of aesthetic, signature touches, like ambient lighting inspired by Japanese lanterns, ‘floating’ armrests next to the door panel, natural woodwork and application of Japan’s sophisticated sliced wood and laser cutting technologies, inspired by Shimamoku wood patterns. And glass works and almost-origami-like pleated door trims.
The Lexus Climate Concierge is capable of intelligent automatic control that uses infrared sensors that measure body surface temperatures in the front seats, to provide the most comfortable climate conditions for each occupant.
Additionally, the 2018 LS adds a hands-free power backdoor – placing or kicking up one of your feet toward a sensor beneath the rear bumper cover opens or closes the electrically actuated backdoor.
POWERTAIN OPTIONS & DYNAMICS
A new driver-centric performance feel comes the all-new global architecture for luxury vehicles (GA-L). This premium rear-wheel drive platform, an extended version of the Lexus LC 500 coupe platform, offers a more dynamic experience.
The new LS is available in three engine options:
The base model will have a 3.5-litre V6 that makes over 300 horspower.
The new Multi Stage Hybrid System in the 2018 Lexus LS combines a naturally aspirated Atkinson-cycle 3.5-litre V6 gasoline engine with two electric motors/generators and uses a compact, lightweight lithium-ion battery. The combined system output is 354 hp. The new system is based on the electronically controlled Continuously Variable Planetary (CVP) transmission of Lexus Hybrid Synergy Drive, coupled with an all-new four-speed automatic gearset at the output stage.
The LS 500 engine offers 415 horsepower and 442 lb-ft of torque, sizeable gains over the current V8 LS model. It has a projected 0-60 time of 4.5 seconds (RWD).
The first-ever 10-speed automatic transmission for a luxury sedan, having already debuted in the Lexus LC 500, is also used in the new LS flagship sedan. The LS engineers used lightweight materials including ultra-high tensile steel sheet and aluminum to carve over 200 pounds from the current LS platform and body.
NEAR-NOISELESS CABIN & MUSICAL UNITS
The retuned exhaust note of the 2018 Lexus LS conveys a more authoritative tone, yet new sound suppression methods further hush the cabin environment. Active Noise Control detects engine sound and cancelling certain frequencies using antiphase sound from the audio speakers. This allows you to enjoy the available 3D surround Mark Levinson audio package with in-ceiling array speakers. The package features a more inviting graphic user interface. Its next-generation remote touch is designed to mimic smartphone operation. In addition to its 12.3-inch wide navigation display, the LS can incorporate an optional large color heads-up display (HUD) that projects a variety of information onto the driver’s forward view.
The new 2018 Lexus LS’s safety features are developed based on Lexus’ Integrated Safety Management Concept to make each driver better. The concept focuses on analyzing and optimizing safety technologies for four main causes of traffic fatalities: accidents related to pedestrians, vehicle departures from roads, intersections, and rear-end collisions.
Some of the highlight technologies include:
- Pre-Collision System (PCS) that will warn the driver or apply the brakes if needed, if its detects other vehicles or pedestrians in front of the vehicle.
- Dynamic Radar Cruise Control System (DRCC)
- Lane Keeping Assist (LKA): It alerts the driver with using steering wheel vibration or a buzzer and on the display if it judges crossing of lane markings without turn signals, and assists steering accordingly.
- Adaptive High-beam System (AHS): When it detects a vehicle within the area illuminated by the high beams, it partially blocks light and optimizes the light distribution to prevent a dazzling effect for incoming traffic.
- Along with the high-strength cabin, up to 14 SRS airbags including available dual-stage airbags.
- Pop-up hood system: A four-point pop-up hood system has been adopted, so that in the event of a frontal collision the pedestrian is protected.
- Blind Spot Monitor (BSM)
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA): To assist safe reversing, RCTA uses quasi-millimeter-wave radars in the rear bumper to detect approaching vehicles areas behind the vehicle and alerts the driver using a buzzer and an LED indicator in the relevant door mirror.
- Multi-weather lights are a Lexus-first feature that supports the driver when driving in foggy conditions at night. This system reduces glare by lowering the low beam light focus to minimize light scattering. The cornering lamps are also turned on at 70% brightness to provide supplemental illumination.
- Panoramic View Monitor (PVM): Video that provides the driver with an image of the vehicle as if viewed from above is displayed on the 12.3-inch EMV (Electro Multi-Vision) display.
The all-new 2018 Lexus LS is available across all Lexus showrooms starting from AED 310,000.